[CentOS] Dual booting centos 4.1 and Solaris 10 express build 15

mohamed yusuf

myusuf32 at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 7 01:38:39 UTC 2005

I have been trying to multiboot centos 4.1 and the
current solaris express build 15. I have two hard
drive s, the first one ( hd0 ) devoted to CentOS 4.1
and windows xp (no problems). The second drive (hd1)
for Solaris 10 only. I tried to boot solaris from
CentOS grub and got the following error messages:

Booting Solaris 10
root(hd1,0)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0Xbf
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
Error 17: can not mount  selected partition
press any key to continue....

I googled for error 17 and found out that "the
partition exists but grub failed to recognize Solaris
partition". That is odd because I had no problems
triple booting windows,CentOs 4.1 and opensolaris
build 16 and I don't get it, there is no partition
difference between opensolaris 10 and solaris express.
or is there ?

Please somebody explain to me. Here is menu.lst for
centos grub
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making
changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means
that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to
/boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,5)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda7
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-11.106.unsupported)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported ro
root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported.img
title CentOS (2.6.9-11.EL)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.EL ro root=LABEL=/
rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.EL.img
title Solaris 10
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
        module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
        makeactive
        chainloader +1
title Windows xp
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Note: This is my first post and I have learned a lot
from your forum since I moved from mandrake 3 months
ago.

Thanks alot guys