[CentOS] iPod on Centos 4

Jesse

j at lumiere.net
Thu Jul 7 23:12:02 UTC 2005

I'm having trouble getting my iPod working under Centos 4. I was hoping
someone else using their iPod with Centos 4 could shed some light on
this.

When I attach my iPod via USB, I get these messages:
19:36:44 brahma kernel: usb 1-8: new high speed USB device using address 2
19:36:45 brahma kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
19:36:45 brahma kernel: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
19:37:35 brahma kernel: usb 1-8: reset high speed USB device using address 2
19:37:51 brahma kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error
recovery: host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

I had no problems getting my iPod to work under Centos 3 (2.4.x kernel),
once I had recompiled without the EFI partition option. In this case I
don't think EFI is a factor though, as the device isn't even making it to
the partition scanning stage.

I tried using just the slower uhci_hcd but got the same results. Then I
tried using the latest FC3 kernel (2.6.11-1.35_FC3), and surprise, the
iPod mounts (with ehci) without any problems.

Obviously I'd prefer to run the RHEL/Centos kernel though, even if it
requires a small patch. At least then I know what's changed.