[CentOS] Problem opening CD/DVD Drive door

Dick Roth

raroth7 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 12:53:58 UTC 2005

Since moving from FC2 to CentOS 4.x I've been having a strange problem
opening the CD/DVD drive door after burning backups.

A cron job tars and gzips directories I want to back up and stores the
.tar.gz file in my /misc directory.  I then burn the file onto a blank
CD.  All goes well with the burn...the drive door opens upon completion.

The problem occurs when I re-insert the CD to test the backup using File
  Roller.  After reading the directories for verification, I find that I
can not eject the disc unless I log out.  This, obviously is a pain in
the neck since I then have to restart several apps I normally have open.

Has anyone run into this before?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dick

--
Pithy saying goes here:  (future).