[CentOS] Yum package requiring yumconf

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Wed Jul 13 22:22:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

I need yum-arch on RHEL4, yum does not come with RHEL4 so I took the
CentOS package, but this one requires a yumconf package (satisfied by
centos-yumconf) which I thought was pretty strange.

Why does one require a yumconf package uberhaupt ? Why are we limiting a
generally useful package to CentOS (or a system that provides yumconf) ?

I know you can fix it in several ways, but I'm more concerned about having
the dependency there in the first place. I always considered dependencies
much like strictly necessary to use this package, and in this case it does
not seem to be very mandatory. (config files you can add yourself easily
one way or the other if you require them)

My vote would go for removing the dependency. (now that I have installed
centos-yumconf on RHEL4 and disabled all the functionality)