[CentOS] X Windows

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 02:42:50 UTC 2005

On 7/13/05, Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
> Huzefa Zakir wrote:
> > Can someone please assist me on how to install Gnome /KDE ?  I am
> > running Centos 4.1, and I didn't install the packages durning the
> > install, but would like to install them now,
>
> try 'up2date -u kdeutils kdeartwork kdeadmin kdenetwork'

while that will work, a slightly better method would be:
yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment" " KDE
(K Desktop Environment)"

note that the quotes are important, as you have to escape spaces in
the group names.  Once this is done, you can run either desktop you
choose assuming X is set up. If not, run system-config-display to get
set.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT