[CentOS] Re: Open Office 1.9.x -- Firefox i386 on x86-64

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 13:48:32 UTC 2005

From: Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>
> Donno about FC3.

When I installed FC3 x86_64, I got both for Mozilla, but only
x86_64 for Firefox.  Closer inspection showed that's exactly
what the packages were in the repository.

> You need to 'steal' from the i386 repo..
> ( apologies... I should have mentioned that before )

Yep.  I have tried to "tap" the FC3 i386 repository with both
APT and YUM and not always received what I expected.  From
my 2nd/3rd-hand understanding (i.e., I haven't done it ... yet),
SmartPM let's you do all sorts of things to resolve this (like
repository priority and other details).

If I find a spare 4-6 hours in the next few weeks, I'm going to
use SmartPM and document exactly how x86_64 platforms can
benefit from its use.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org