[CentOS] Re: Fix passwd/shadow/group files?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:45:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 11:14, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
> > I think it'll only work for NIS passwd maps, but I think that the
> > netgroups map can come from NIS *or* live in /etc/netgroup.
>
> Right.
>
> But in a nutshell, I think we agree that NIS is the way to go.
> Totally forgot about netgroups and using the +:::::: limitations
> in /etc/passwd on each NIS client.
>
> All excellent suggestions.

The problem is that nearly all of the people are windows users
that need samba accounts to work in addition to ftp/ssh.
Some maintain web content, some are customer support that need
write access to the ftp server and another set does some
development and testing on a different box. At various times
in the past, some of the boxes were solaris and freebsd. Now
they are all Linux and I'm using smb authentication against a
windows domain controller but still create the accounts for each
permitted user manually.   Can NIS/netgroups mesh with samba
authentication against a windows domain or would I have to use
LDAP for better integration?   Actually, I guess the next integration
will be with Active Directory...  This company has been acquired and
the corporate parent is in the process of converting their domains
now and will be including the users at this location.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com