[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 post installation of all packages

Lee W centos-list at unassemble.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 20:42:30 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>I personnaly wonder why one would want to have all packages installed on
>>a remote server.  You really need all the X applications?
>>

>I agree with this.  I'll do an 'everything' install on a local box just
>in case I might want something unusual but on a remote server it ends
>up causing more trouble than it is worth.  Remember that you'll want
>to use 'yum update' frequently to keep up with security and bugfix
>updates and every additional installed package has a chance of adding
>to the time it takes to update and the odds that something will go
>wrong.  You might want X installed so you can remotely run the GUI
>versions of system-config-... but it would be unusual to need the
>full gnome/kde desktops.  Can you start with a 'server' install and
>add packages as you know you need them?

Hi Daniel,

I think Phil has already identified a few issues with my "simple" solution.
The advantage of running rpm rather than yum is that you will be taking
the data from the CD/DVD rather than off the mirrors, thus not using
your or the mirrors bandwidth.  Of course you could configure a local
repo in yum to do exactly the same thing for the base install and then
just get the updates from the mirrors.

Also, I would second (or third, I've lost count) the question as to why
you need to all packages installed.  Using Yum would resolve dependancy
problems automatically, also going back to my original post rpm usually
tells you was is missing and suggest what needs to be installed.

See ya

Lee