[CentOS] CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 19 00:42:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 19:34 -0400, John Hinton wrote:
> I mean spending 5 to 40g on a server that will get a 5% load, is just a
> waste of money.

Don't confuse CPU load with interconnect and I/O load.  I/O load is very
difficult to measure in Linux, and interconnect is virtually impossible.
You can literally have less than 2% CPU load and your I/O cards are not
only starving for bandwidth, but contending for it (even worse).

> I guess we all forget the other man's situation. Yeah, some networks
> have huge throughput... and then others are just struggling for more
> bandwidth for less money....

My point is that 9 times out of 10, I can design a higher performing
set of servers and network for _lower_cost_ than what people think is a
modest server at a much higher cost.

I don't know how many times I walk into a company and they put a
$200-300 server mainboard with $15,000 of storage and other hardware.
Not only could I give them 3x the performance with a $700 mainboard, but
I probably could have architect a storage solution that is more faster,
reliable and uses far less power, for less than 1/3rd the price.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->