[CentOS] Palm Pilot, USB, pppd and udev

Aleksandar Milivojevic

alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Jul 20 20:39:41 UTC 2005

I've a line like this that creates /dev/pilot link in my local udev rules:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*[13579]",
SYMLINK="pilot"

And it seems to work fine for doing normal sync operation to Gnome Palm applet
(well, not sure about that KERNEL parameter, however ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 look
exactly the same, no other way to specify "use second device" as far as I can
see).  But, if I use the USB connection to connect to the network (using my
Linux box as gateway by running "pppd auth -chap +pap login local ms-dns
10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2 pilot" and doing SNAT) I've noticed that sometimes
when I disconnect, the ttyUSB* devices are not removed by udev.

When devices are removed, I'm getting something like this in my log files:

kernel: visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected
from ttyUSB0
kernel: visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected
from ttyUSB1

However, when devices are not removed, I'm getting a bit different message:

kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 4
kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: device disconnected

I've just started playing with my Palm under Linux, and so far I've only noticed
this when using PPP over USB.  So far when doing plain-old synchronzation (to
gnome Palm applet) it seems that devices are always created and removed as
expected.

Has anybody else noticed this and/or has advice what to do?

Thanks,
Alex