[CentOS] Re: IDE RAID support

Nick Bryant nick at everywhereinternet.com
Thu Jul 21 23:19:58 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 14:36 -0500, Jay Leafey wrote:
> >  Joseph T Mai wrote:
> > > Sorry if this has been asked previously.
> > > Does CentOS support IDE hardware RAID on HP DL320?
> > > Thanks,
> > > -j
> >
> > I've got several of these beasts (DL320 G2) and I haven't been able to
> get
> > hardware RAID to work.  The output of 'lspci' reports:
> >
> > 00:02.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 0649 Ultra ATA/100
> > PCI to ATA Host Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > I believe this chipset is dependent on a Windows-based driver to make it
> > work and is NOT supported in CentOS.  I'm using software RAID 1 on them
> > and am fairly happy with it.
>
> The standard answer for "fake raid" cards from "Linux SATA RAID FAQ"
>  http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html
>
>         3. I have a Silicon Image SATA RAID card. Why doesn't Linux
>         support my hardware RAID?
>
>         A. It's not hardware RAID. It is software RAID, provided by the
>         BIOS on the card.

Indeed. I freaked out when I couldn't get my sata promise raid controlling
working in Acer Altos series servers... Till I read an article that said in
2.4 its actually just as quick (if not quicker, depending on server
hardware) to let the kernel deal with the raid stuff.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-raid-a
pproaches.html