[CentOS] Re: Fighting some install issues with a new box -- last possibility, memory size ...

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Tue Jul 26 03:23:37 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>One last possibility.
>
>When the first Opteron mainboards came out with the AMD8131 tunnel, Tyan
>had an issue when 4GiB of RAM was used.  They recommended you enable the
>memory hole.
>
>That issue should be _long_removed_ in the S2895, but it probably
>wouldn't hurt to enable any memory hole (above 3.65GiB), or actually
>remove 2GiB of RAM and see if it sees the card and its firmware in the
>BIOS (as well as Linux).
>
>If so, get Tyan on the phone.  You should _not_ be seeing that.

I 2nd that motion (remove 2 GB of RAM), I am also on the SuSE AMD64 list
& there are dozens of threads about people having install problems with
 > 2 GB of RAM onboard during install. They have various recommendations
to get around it (noapic during install, others, I don't recall them
all), but get down to 2 GB RAM or less seems to cure a multitude of ills
during install.

--
	William A. Mahaffey III