[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Wed Jul 27 15:43:50 UTC 2005

}I'm the "he" in question, and for me there was no "sticking" with FC3. I
}only made the commitment to move from Windows to Linux a few weeks ago,
}and FC4 is the only distribution they make available on Fedora's own
}site, so I assumed it was the current one.
}
}So, I started with FC4, thinking it was merely the most recent, not
}realizing that it was actually a bleeding edge experimental version.
}
}On the Fedora Mailing list, someone recommended that I go with CentOS.
}But now that I'm here, I'm starting to regret it a bit. While Karanbir's
}posting helps, some of the links I chased down and my attempts to set up
}repositories have not worked so far and it's frustrating.
}
}This is probably just frustration talking, but at this point, I'm
}missing Windows. At least with Windows, there is far less confusion
}about versions and compatibility. Ditto for Mac. I've been experimenting
}with Linux for three weeks now, and I still have no idea which
}distribution actually works, let alone which will suit my needs. I have
}no idea what I gain or lose by choosing Debian builds over Red Hat
}builds or vice versa... and I've read reviews and distro watch and all
}that. I'm drowning in a sea of choices, and not in a good way.
}
}Dave

Dave

Please don't give up.

Focus on the install, the import of the "key" and then the resultant "yum
update"

Once you are installed and updated, then I suggest focusing on the "yum"
command and a good "yum" configuration that allows command line toggle of
snagging packages you want from certain special repositories or whatever
they are called...

Dave, please forgive me if you know all of this this already (it is not my
intent to talk down to anyone if they are advanced players) yet half the
battle is getting installed and config'd/updated and then getting comfy with
where everything is at including more config/update as necessary.

I started with Linux when is was like 0.99 or something and back then an
install was totally on faith via floppy and unless you knew exactly what you
were doing and having done it many times it just too _time_ and patience.

;-)

Anyways, you are in the right place and CentOS can dance and sing if you so
desire.

Have an awesome day!

 - rh