[CentOS] Re: Using CentOS as a file server on a win2K domain

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 27 20:58:40 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there some reason you omitted SFU from this list?

Wasn't thinking.  I was focused on "migration" or
"segmentation" (ADS-NsDS) instead of ADS ownership.
I should have included both Samba ADS-DC membership
as well as SFU, if your network is to be 0w3n3d by ADS.

> Recently you said it would work in a similar situation
> to act as an NIS server with the Linux boxes as NIS
> clients.

Yes, it is yet one of the many options.

> And by the way, does anyone know if there are any client
> license fees for the things provided by SFU?

Nope, not on the NIS end AFAIK.

That was one really nice thing about Microsoft licensing
Integraph AccessNFS (fka Sun PC-NFS) for SFU.  No more client
access licenses (CALs) -- other than the normal number of
CALs you need for X users, when you access via NFS.