[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 28 04:44:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 13:25 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> But actually, when I was saying that DVDs didn't work under FC4, I meant
> data DVDs which contained back up files.

What drive?  What disc format?  What program created them?  If you
haven't guessed, longterm DVD "reliability" is a technical interest of
mine.  Why?  Because I've been using DVD as a backup for Linux since
early 1998 -- yes, _1998_, on Linux!

(and no, the drive didn't cost me $10,000, it was $500, brand freak'n
new, list price)

> One last note about information and being a newbie. People seem to be
> debating which information I need and which I don't. As a newbie, let me
> put it this way: there is no such thing as bad information, it just has
> to be priorized. Bryan can write the longest posting in the world, and
> it's fine so long as it goes something like in this order:
> Here's what to do ro make things just work.
> Here's how it works.
> Here's why it works like that.
> Here's the philosophy behind it's construction.
> Here's the reasons why the alternate methods don't work.

I'd rather so-called "offended, troubled, overwhelmed, etc..." people be
open and critique me directly, than have _other_ people "stand up for
them" -- especially for so-called "newbies."  We are _all_ newbies, from
various aspects, and people can handle themselves.

9 times out of 10, when someone else is supposedly "sticking up for
newbies, grannies, etc..." someone already has an agenda with me, and
it's just the excuse.  And then the so-called newbie _really_ gets to
see what Linux is all about (bickering, right?  NOT!).

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->