[CentOS] what the best ? apt-get? yum or urpmi ?

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Thu Jul 28 09:37:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Security wrote:
>>
>>> So, Wthat need I to use for a Centos-like ditribution?
>>> (It's to intagrate the tool on Gralinux final)
>>> apt-get + synaptic??  yum+yumi???urpmi in command line only ???
>>
>> yum is less adept at sorting out dependencies than apt-get,
>
> I had to look up adept to see if it carries any special meaning. Not
> finding one I still fail to understand the above text fragment.
> Especially as yum and apt-get use the same information for resolving
> dependencies - the provides and requires available in the RPMs in a
> repository.

to expound, apt-get has a facility where you can assign preference to
certain repositories over others when more than one repository has the
same RPM. You can, on a per package level assign preference to certain
repositories, which makes it much easier to mix repositories. With yum you
are limited to disabling or enabling whole repositories, which makes it
impossble if certain RPMS depend on other RPMS which are not in the same
repositories. Maybe the 'smart' packaging system will sort this out, but
it appears to be still in an early stage of development.