[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 install DVD

Thu Jul 28 21:23:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, July 28, 2005 2:21 pm, Robert Hanson said:

> thanks, i know what it is.
>
> and apologies to torrents people, i mispoke, it was not meant to offend
> yet
> i dont want to install and learn about anything more than i absolutely
> need
> to.
>
> there is NO SUBSTITUTE for unlimited bandwidth.   :-)
>
> so, what you are telling me is that there is nowhere to get what i want
> right?? or just right now? ;-)
>
> now, this is *similar* to what i am looking for. a roughly 2 gig DVD .iso
>
> the last one i got was called
>
> CentOS-4.0-i386-bin.DVD.iso
>
> where do i find the last one that was made up please without using
> torrents?
>
> thanks
>
>  - rh

You can download CD ISOs from most of the public mirrors ... CentOS does
not allow direct downloads of ISOs from our servers. (CDs or DVDs)

Torrents are usually much faster that direct ISO downloads ... because
there are 8-50 seeds (download sources) for each download, not just one.
And they  allow downloads that do not only require our bandwidth.

The problem with the DVD is that it is > 2.0 GB and can not be served via
apache (and even some FTP servers) because of this size.  It is also a
bandwidth issue and storage issue (there are about 20GB of DVDs, the
entire tree is only 60GB without DVDs).

Since more than half our external (public) mirror providers are http and
since > 2gb doesn't work by default, it doesn't make any sense to
distribute > 2gb files in the normal mirror directories (to the tune of
20GB) when 50-75% of the mirrors will not serve them by default.

I'm sorry, but because of this, bittorrent is the only way we distribute
DVDs.

There is a script to make a DVD from the CDs ... It is here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/build/

and named mkdvdiso.sh

--
Johnny Hughes