[CentOS] Re: Using CentOS as a file server on a win2K domain -- nothing to do with alternatives

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 28 23:55:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 18:29 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Yes, I do understand that, but I don't see you listing
> a big set of other interchangable clients/servers.  I'm
> even less interested in being a hostage to some other
> product that does not allow mixing clients and servers.

Huh?  I said _many_ alternatives do.  I listed OpenGroupware.ORG because
it does _not_ -- it's extremely open on the back-end.

> I also didn't see you mention any bug-free alternative.

???

> I pointed out that when I was testing Evolution it didn't work
> right even on its own.  Admittedly that was a version or two ago
> and I haven't tried the reminder notifications lately.

With Evolution or Exchange?

> No - but none of the earlier ones worked with free or other
> vendor's clients either.

Not true.  I thought I conveyed that.  In fact, before Outlook 2003,
there were _better_ connectors for Outlook than to Exchange.

> Yes, we did have that here long ago, and yes that's probably
> why everyone likes outlook by comparison now.

Just like MS Word over Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS.
Of course, some of use were running StarOffice in 1995.
Did I mention I can still read my documents flawlessly 10 years later?
;-p

> When someone shows me the scheduling server that can be
> transparently replaced with a different type because both
> use only standard protocols this argument will mean something.

???  I thought I basically laid that out with OpenGroupware.ORG
(OGo)  ???

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean ... you're liking holding
up much, much higher standards than for Exchange-Outlook.

> I just want them to drive on the same road.

That's like saying you want them to be on the same network, but they
don't talk to each other.  ;->

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->