[CentOS] sda of CentOS 4 and hda Windows dual boot possible?

Robert Hanson

roberth at abbacomm.net
Fri Jul 29 16:24:21 UTC 2005

greetings,

since i have a test server in front of me and i have never tried it i
request your assistance please.

ive always been a fdisk and lilo person

i have a fresh CentOS 4 "test" install on a WD120 sata /dev/sda

/dev/sda1	/
/dev/sda2	/boot
/dev/sda3	swap

and it just so happens i have a old test 17Gig Maxtor PATA with a fresh
Win98 on it from helping my father migrate to a newer cpu and opsys

when i go into a fdisk /dev/hda i get this "print"

/dev/hda1	c:	w95 fat32 lba
/dev/hda2		w95 ext lba
/dev/hda5	d:	w95 fat 32

currently i can boot into the CentOS 4 install and it does not see the PATA
drive by default unless i go into fdisk of course. it is not mounted.

or i can switch them and boot into win98, whatever is best for this learning
test.

ive always tried to have 2 or more (hot/cold swapouts) of everything client
and server hardwares so i never needed to dual boot.

can someone show me what steps they would take using linux rescue to get
this "test" situation to dual boot please?

i did try with "linux rescue" and was rec'v grub not found errors when
running grub-install /dev/sda so im sure i have done something worng.

also, i can make the windows pata drive primary or the linux sata primary so
please advise what is best.

maybe i didnt understand the recent thread re: dual boot situation.

thanks in advance and kind regards,

 - rh

--
Robert Hanson