[CentOS] Re: Big thanks for supporting i586 type machines. -- isn't K6 = i686?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jul 30 22:25:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:55 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> While I know that, technically, the only i586 machines are the Pentium and
> Pentium MMX, it is still nice that I can use some headless AMD K6/2 machines
> I have lying around for CentOS 4.  Many thanks for the effort expended to get
> that working.

The AMD K6-2+ don't run the i686 version?

I was fairly certain the Nx686 core (K6) was a 3-issue, superscalar i686
ISA compatible ALU + non-pipelined AMD x87 FPU slapped on?

In fact, I thought the primary difference between the Nx586 core and the
Nx686 core was the move from i386/486 ISA (i386 in early Nx586, i486 in
the latter K5s as it's TLB was made fully i486 ISA compatible) to i686
(all K6 units)?

They should run i686 ISA code the last time I checked.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you