[CentOS] Re: Japanese Language Support? -- X settings (multiple keyboards)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jul 31 09:14:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 03:56 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> BTW, you do _not_ need to "log out" to run applications as a different
> user.  Although I do have to choose 1 user to login as, I often use 2-3
> accounts simultaneously in X using Xauth to authorize other users so
> they can display applications on my desktop.  I don't see any reason why
> you can't do this for multiple users using different languages,
> especially when GNOME maintains its own sessions for different users,
> when when displaying to the same DISPLAY.

BTW, there is also the issue of keyboards and support -- especially with
non-Latin keyboards.

X.org does an excellent job of making it easy to setup multiple input
devices, including multiple keyboards of different languages each.  Once
the keyboard device has been so configured to the local X:0.0 display,
whoever logs in has ownership of the display.  But, again, you can
authorize other users to have access to the display and use those
keyboards.

Again, does anyone have a good HOWTO on this?  When I did this awhile
back (under RHL9/FC1 I believe?), the locale generation was different
than it appears to be on FC3/RHEL4.  I.e., my notes don't seem to work
on my FC3 box here.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Also, IIRC, RHEL artificially limits locale support for SLA
reasons and it's one of the major differences between Fedora Core and
RHEL (which CentOS is).  Can anyone confirm that for my ignorant, land-
locked American butt (who doesn't have to support much other than
English and Spanish, both very similar Latin languages)?

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you