[CentOS] Big thanks for supporting i586 type machines.

Sun Jul 31 11:48:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:55 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> While I know that, technically, the only i586 machines are the Pentium and
> Pentium MMX, it is still nice that I can use some headless AMD K6/2 machines
> I have lying around for CentOS 4. Many thanks for the effort expended to get
> that working.

You are very welcome, we want to continue to support the i586 processors
and alpha processors ... and maybe sparc processors in the future.  All
which are not currently supported by the upstream provider.

Booting the i586 kernel in anaconda does sometimes cause some issues
with people who need to use "dd" drivers though.  So, when we put out
the CentOS 4 Single Server CD (hopefully quite soon), we will have a
straight i686 boot option there.  That should allow for an exact copy of
the "i686 only" boot process for people that need that option too.

At some point in the future (for upstream compatibility), we may make
the main CD-1 / DVD "i686 boot" only and provide an "i586" Single Server
CD installer.  Those decisions are for another time.

We are striving to be the best OS out there, not just a copy of the one
of the best OSs out there :)

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.centos.org/>