[CentOS] advice on removing these daemons from server - rpc.statd rpc.idmapd acpid

Hardy Beltran Monasterios

hardy at hardy.com.bo
Wed Jun 1 14:25:18 UTC 2005

El mié, 01-06-2005 a las 20:33 +0300, Nikos Zaharioudakis escribió:
> On 6/1/05, Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> > greetings,
> >
> > is there any reason i would want any of these daemons active in memory on a
> > simple DNS server if i do not use NFS and... of course, the unit is not
> > being used as a workstation.
> >
> > 1712 ?        Ss     0:00 rpc.statd
> > 1745 ?        Ss     0:00 rpc.idmapd
> > 1813 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
> >
> > tia
> >
> >  - rh

> of course not. Make sure they are stopped.
> then check out what else should not be running there. I believe your
> server boots at runlevel 3 so
> chkconfig --list |grep 3:on
> now you see what starts up on boot. use the chkconfig tool or ntsysv
> to disable what should not start on boot.

I recommend not just disable, I think the rigth way is delete the
service script. By example: chkconfig --del portmap

>  Then reboot the system at an
> appropriate time and make sure all is well. What you should have
> thought from the beginning is the fact that since it is gonna be a
> simple DNS server, you shouldn't have installed anything else. The
> less stuff you install, the less time you need to disable and the less
> threat you have someone will make bad use of installed (but let to the
> defaults) software you have there.

I'm agree with you, personally I used to do a minimal installation and
then start to adding the packages what I need. Of this way I have a
better control of what is installed.

> take care

Greetings

--