[CentOS] Re: Vote For CentOS :) -- yes, vote CentOS if it's what you like

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 15:08:48 UTC 2005

From: Christopher Snow <cs at m0n0.co.uk>
> If that's the case, shouldn't the credit vote go to Fedora?

Disclaimer:  This is 100% my _opinion_ (don't take it otherwise)

1.  Credit

At some point a lot of credit can go to a lot of projects.
Yes, many are thanx to Red Hat -- by far the largest of any commercial entity.
But then many are thanx to many maintainers in general.
It's not really fair to them to give all credit to Red Hat by the same logic.

2.  Who do you vote for?

I think the purpose of the vote is to state your favorite distro that you install.
If you believe CentOS is it, then vote for it.  I would see it as, "I like RHEL,
but I don't need SLAs."  I'm sure a few will demonize it, but I think most
people are fairly solid in that view.

Now if you prefer a distro with SLAs, but just normally don't because of cost,
I'd actually vote RHEL (or SLES if that is your preferrence) instead of CentOS.
I guess I should actually read the wording of the vote, but it's kinda like cars.
You can like a car without actually owning it.

But don't feel any need to show loyalty to RHEL if you use CentOS, most
people already know it's a replica of RHEL sans trademarks.

> As in politics, your vote counts no matter the reason it is cast.

Agreed.  Vote what you want, don't try to analyze your vote.
Far too many people do that only to get frustrated later.

Just my $0.02, as always ...

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org