[CentOS] Reboots

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 17:42:47 UTC 2005

From: Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at suespammers.org>
> That, my friend, is very much true.
> Depending on the kind of server you are running (mumber of different
> processes), a reboot will be much easier. Did that myself a few times.

As far as examining running processes, one should have _good_ operational
procedures and practices to track what is and isn't running on your system.
If you can, stick with Sys-V start/kill init scripts for everything, and document
anything that can't be (as well as why).

I don't like to rely on reboots to do such things.  In fact, when building a new,
standard system configuration, I like to shunt to "init 1" and back to "init 3"
(run-levels assume distro is Fedora-based) several times to ensure that all
my start/kill init scripts are proper.

That way I can stop and start user-space services piecemeal and completely.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org