[CentOS] installation count?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:26:17 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Michael Kress <kress at hal.saar.de> wrote:
> Johnny Hughes schrieb:
>

> >169,788 distinct IP addresses have asked for updates since 04-Mar-2005
> >from mirror.centos.org

<snip>

Holy moly that's a lot.

<snip>
> Apart from that I don't think, it's a good measure to count the IP
> addresses "since". A better measure might be to release _one_ update and
> to count, how many guys download that update within say two weeks,
> morover to ask the mirror guys to give away their access data for this
> update.

There's a couple of flaws with a "distinct IP" count:

1. Not all servers get updated (I know of 3 or 4 CentOS servers that
probably haven't been updated in months.
2. One machine can get multiple IPs
3. Many machines can look line one IP

However, distinct IP does give us a rough estimate of installs.  And
even if it's off by 30% one way or another - it's a bigger number than
I thought.

Greg