[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 3 02:44:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:15 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> So, there is no corelation, since Linux is not a GNU project :) (let the
> flamewar begin).

Linux _is_ a GNU operating system.
And the design of Linux is heavily influenced by the preferred GNU
platform at the time he designed it over the first few years.

That's what I was referring to, the "influence" on the design.

> As I said, it is not that it doesn't apply to Solaris. It is
> just that I can't say that, since I don't know.

Solaris' run-levels don't match FC/RHL-based ones.  ;->

> Not from AT&T ehehehe

Then who makes the so-called "UNIX-like Standard" then?
We refer to them as System-V -- as in AT&T System V -- style init.
So at this point, I'm pretty certain there is no standard.

> Okey. We are disgressing here. I agree with you that the inits are different.
> In every conceivable way. I'm just talking about runlevels ?)

If you mean that run-levels exist, then yes, that's a System-V style
init.  No disagreement there.

But there is really no "standard" to what each level does -- although
most designate 6 for reboot, 0 for shutdown and 1 for single-user.  That
is about the only commonality.

> I will. Eventually. I just need time to look for it, but
> I'm in the middle of 2 big projects right now, so it might take
> a few days.

Oh, no rush.  I'd just like it for future reference when I run into
others.  I don't mean to be skeptical, but unless it was AT&T's official
System-V init, I don't know how anyone could show it as lineage as the
"standard."

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->