[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- Short Answer

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 3 02:50:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:34 -0400, James Olin Oden wrote:
> While I agree with most of your points (the short and long version), I
> think that when you update software on your production servers during
> a maintenance window, its generally a good idea to do a reboot then to
> make sure that your not supprised years later.

I never disagreed with this.  In fact, if you want to test for boot-time
issues, the time to do it _is_ when you have upgraded some details _and_
are in that maintenance window.

I typically find that I'm maintaining a configuration management set
whereby I have at least 1 system non-production and I can already test
for this, and any variation in production.  But if you're going to do it
-- e.g., if you suspect that power or other interruptions will possibly
occur -- then by all means, that _is_ the time to do it.

I was just basically saying don't reboot just because you have a window.
I always reboot my NT servers once a week, and I cringe to see new Linux
administrators try to apply the same logic.  ;->

> It has nothing to do with fixing some problem or Linux really needing
> the reboot, but more of a test to make sure that if/when you loose
> power or for some other reason you have to reboot, that you some level
> of confidence that the box will reboot clean and all production
> services are available.

And you would know your environment better than I.  If that is a real
possibility, then that's the time to do it -- when you change something
during a maintenance window.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->