[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at suespammers.org
Fri Jun 3 03:25:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:44:26PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:15 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> > So, there is no corelation, since Linux is not a GNU project :) (let the
> > flamewar begin).
>
> Linux _is_ a GNU operating system.
> And the design of Linux is heavily influenced by the preferred GNU
> platform at the time he designed it over the first few years.
>
> That's what I was referring to, the "influence" on the design.

Linux IS NOT a GNU operating system. Linux is Linus Pet Project,
and thats all. Linux is not even an operating system, it is just
a Kernel and, again, it is not a GNU Kernel. HURD is a GNU kernel.

A Linux distribution (exception being Debian) is not more a GNU
operating system than a X11/BSD/Name-Your-License Operating system.

> > As I said, it is not that it doesn't apply to Solaris. It is
> > just that I can't say that, since I don't know.
> Solaris' run-levels don't match FC/RHL-based ones.  ;->

Can you elaborate, please.

> > Not from AT&T ehehehe
> Then who makes the so-called "UNIX-like Standard" then?
> We refer to them as System-V -- as in AT&T System V -- style init.
> So at this point, I'm pretty certain there is no standard.

I'll find it. Just need time to look for it.

> > Okey. We are disgressing here. I agree with you that the inits are different.
> > In every conceivable way. I'm just talking about runlevels ?)
>
> If you mean that run-levels exist, then yes, that's a System-V style
> init.  No disagreement there.
>
> But there is really no "standard" to what each level does -- although
> most designate 6 for reboot, 0 for shutdown and 1 for single-user.  That
> is about the only commonality.

Same answer.

> > I will. Eventually. I just need time to look for it, but
> > I'm in the middle of 2 big projects right now, so it might take
> > a few days.
>
> Oh, no rush.  I'd just like it for future reference when I run into
> others.  I don't mean to be skeptical, but unless it was AT&T's official
> System-V init, I don't know how anyone could show it as lineage as the
> "standard."

Same answer :)

[]s

- --