[CentOS] rhel3 < centos3 updates

Mike Kercher mike at CamaroSS.net
Fri Jun 3 03:46:41 UTC 2005

I've done this many times.  Just go to a mirror, download and install the
centos-release rpm, yum and import the GPG key.  Then run 'yum update'.
This is a very smooth transition.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Stephen M. Gava
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:44 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] rhel3 < centos3 updates

Hi all,

I've been approached by someone who has an installation of rhel ES 3 (taroon
update 2) to see whether I can take over doing security and other updates
for them (no current rhn subscription).

What I want to know is, with a suitable yum setup can I use a centos3
repository to apply updates to this box? If so, should I source updates from
centos 3.5? Does the whole box need to become a centos3 box to do this?

They'd really like to disturb the existing box (I agree) as little as
possible since it's a stable production server, and mainly just want
important security related updates etc. done.

Ok,
tia for any answers,
Stephen.
--