[CentOS] CentOS/RHEL versioning scheme?

Morten Kjeldgaard

mok at bioxray.dk
Fri Jun 3 14:49:08 UTC 2005

I am a bit puzzled at the versioning scheme of the RedHat clone family.

RedHat seems to use integer 4, Tao and Centos does the same. If you do

rpm -q --qf '%{version}\n' -f /etc/redhat-release

you get '4'.

However, Scientific Linux uses 4.0, and that seems to me to be a more
logical choise, since presumable there are going to be versions 4.1,
4.2, etc.

Is there any good reason for the version of package centos-release NOT
to be 4.0? It has a significance in automated scripts trying to work out
which distribution and version you are running, and it seems silly to
treat the different RHEL4 clones differently.

It would make sense for CentOS to coordinate/agree_upon a common scheme
among the different distributions.

Cheers,
Morten

PS: Perhaps someone can provide info about other RHEL clone distros!

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, Asc. professor, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University