[CentOS] opensource backup software suggestions please

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:27:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:01, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> >>We just have basic requirements, i.e backing up nfs servers.
> >>

> >If an online disk-based solution will work, with the ability to
> >to manually archive a copy to tape, look at backuppc:
> >http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

> I've found that backing up to another disk to be both faster and more
> practical.  We've got a number of multi-terabyte RAID arrays to store
> uncompressed video.  Backing all that data up to tape just isn't a
> tenable solution.  So we've bitten the bullet and built an extra larger
> multi-terabyte array to do online backups.  Periodically we do snapshots
> of the data on that backup array (like you do on a netapp filer).  That
> system works well for us.  It wouldn't cover us if the building burned
> down so the next step is an offsite mirrored array.

Note that backuppc uses a clever scheme of compression and linking
duplicate files (whether from the same machine or not) and will
typically cram about 8x what you'd expect to fit on the archive
disk.  I store mine on a software RAID mirror where one member is
an external firewire drive that is periodically rotated offsite.
I'm currently having problems with firewire (worked great in FC1
but didn't autodetect, FC3 autodetects on hotplug but either crashes
or gets errors on the external drive if I leave the raid running
long) but otherwise the concept seems good and I can restore instantly
from one of the external drives and my laptop. You'll need something
bigger for all that video, but if I were starting now I'd look at
those 400gig SATA drives in an external cases,

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com