[CentOS] bad blocks showing up

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Fri Jun 3 20:44:53 UTC 2005

Jerry Geis wrote:

> I am getting a few bad sector messages in my /var/log/messages.
>
> I have read where an "fsck -c -c /dev/hda" may be what I need.
>
> Before I go doing such things I am looking for confirmation that
> that is what I should do. Anyone please comment on how to
> tell linux to not use sectors in my disk. This is stright IDE no
> raid not nothing at this point /dev/hda is all.

If it was my system, that is the sign to shut down all non-critical
services and do an immediate full backup of the suspect volume.  When
the backup is done, replace the volume with a fresh disk and restore the
data.  You're just asking to get kicked in the hiney by trying to
manually mark the bad blocks and "write around them".  Disks are cheap.
Cobbling together destroyed data isn't.

Cheers,