[CentOS] was - Vote For CentOS now "pay for CentOS" :)

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Fri Jun 3 21:28:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Greg Knaddison wrote:

> On 6/3/05, Tom <admin at homemachine.net> wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > > This is because people using CentOS won't donate even $1, one time, to
> > > the project....oh well, such is life.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > good point, I gave a 1 time donation then forgot about it :(
> > have just paid again (not a lot but that's what's needed), that's my vote :)
> >
> > PS add a remind again in x months option somewhere Johnny :D
> >

> Johnny,
>
> I am very much appreciative of the effort that is put into CentOS.  I
> leave my machine doing BT all the time and have donated 225+GB so far.
>  I would be willing to give money, but only after I see an accounting
> and description of where the money is going.

There is no accounting as no money has gone anywhere !!

> I asked for that many months ago and got no response, so I left it
> that there was enough money coming in that it isn't worth doing the
> accounting to get even more money.

In fact there is virtually no money coming in. Approximately $200 since
the split with cAos some months ago. There is some money that cAos still
hold that is due to CentOS which they say is approx $1500 although we have
seen no accounting records or details of donations to justify the figure.

> I would probably just trust that the money goes to a good place, but
> the second result on this search doesn't sit well with me.  That story
> is also the reason I am concerned about the slow and unpublicized
> drift from RHEL-SRPM rebuilds (change to Glade, change to Mozilla
> cert-db).
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=lance%20davis%20linux

Isnt is nice that people can publish unfounded allegations on the Internet
and leave them there and there really isnt anything that you can do about
it. Needless to say my version of the story differs markedly in all
substantial respects , although I dont intend to explain them here.

You are reading the rantings of a disgruntled employee, who did not
deliver what he promised and as a result, and the fact that he started his
own business in the time of his employer and didnt see that as an issue
that affected his emplyment, left the company and set up in
competition using most of the same suppliers and knowledge gained whilst
employed.

uklinux.net sponsored the development of cAos and the development of
CentOS by providing 3 dedicated servers when no one else was interested,
besides paying my wages and allowing me to spend time on the project(s).
I can easily say that without uklinux.net CentOS would not now exist as a
distribution in any form whatsoever.

uklinux.net also sponsors the community stands at UK linux exhibitions and
has done so for many years.

The basic error in his argument is that he never understood the
difference between turnover and profit.

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.