[CentOS] bad blocks showing up

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jun 4 05:11:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I am getting a few bad sector messages in my /var/log/messages.
>
> I have read where an "fsck -c -c /dev/hda" may be what I need.
>
> Before I go doing such things I am looking for confirmation that
> that is what I should do. Anyone please comment on how to
> tell linux to not use sectors in my disk. This is stright IDE no
> raid not nothing at this point /dev/hda is all.

Check with:

	smartctl -a /dev/hda

if you see disk problems (uncorrectable errors), you might want to buy an
equally large or larger disk, use dd_rescue to copy over the partitions
(and maybe later grow those partitions or move them into LVM), download
a tool from your disk vendor to check the disk (which might destroy all
data) and if the tool considers the disk is defect, you can ship it to
your vendor if you still are covered by the warranty.

If the disk is defect, you really don't want to risk loosing data using
it.

PS It's also important to have smartd running and sending out emails to
know of disk failures as soon as possible to reduce any risks.