[CentOS] Re: Is it possible to start Installer from WindowsXP?

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 13:38:27 UTC 2005

From: Sukru TIKVES <sukru at cs.hacettepe.edu.tr>
> Of course, I know that!
> That's why I said "Make a FAT partition" and "Boot DOS (probably
> via a floppy)".
> BTW: You can use a Windows ME/98/95 installation CD to boot into DOS.

Yes, but unfortunately this typically messes up the BIOS disk assignments,
and the DOS redirector (normally used for networking, but also CD) also
plays games with memory.

What you will need to do is boot directly to an actual DOS partition with
a DOS installation ("Chicago" DOS7 aka Win9x/Me will work).  You might
be able to get away with booting as long as the LOADLIN binary and
kernel/initrd are not on the CD so the redirectory doesn't need to be
loaded.

In a nutshell, it's always a PITA, regardless.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org