[CentOS] upgrade from fedora to centos?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jun 11 01:39:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:33 +0100, Ian mu wrote:
> Hiya, just wondering how easy this would be, I'm guessing through yum,
> but is there a preferable process from updating from fed core 3 to
> centos ideally keeping settings as is? (desktop rather than server,
> just want to migrate to centos, nothing too essential apart from raw
> data).

By "settings" do you mean server?  Or user?

If server, you're going to have issues because CentOS is a _subset_ of
Fedora Core, and you're going to be playing "dependency hell" as various
packages installed have all sorts of issues with the lack of required
packages.  And if you throw "--force," well, have a nice life.  ;->

If you mean user, then just copy over /home.
Ideally you should be NFS or otherwise mounting it from a server anyway.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->