SRPMS/debuginfo (was Re: [CentOS] Help rebuilding kernel get mount error on reboot)

Tue Jun 14 16:20:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 12:03 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:46:19AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > We don't normally retain the debuginfo ... neither does RH make it
> > available.
>
> Since they don't, it'd be nice if CentOS would.

As I said, we will start retaining them, but you are the only person to
ever ask for them :)

> > I am trying to retain it for new packages (as someone has asked) but it
> > won't be on the normal mirrors.  There will be one machine
> > (vault.centos.org) that will get debuginfo.
>
> Is there a particular reason to throw it away? Or is it just that it takes a
> lot of space? I'd like to have it in our mirror here.... I think it's more
> generally useful than, say, the two s390 trees.

Space is a consideration ... and non use.  Providing them isn't hard ...
it does require re-writing all my build scripts ... But I see no reason
to replicate the debuginfo to 50 mirrors :)

CentOS is the only rebuild currently doing s390 or s390x ... and soon we
hope to be the only rebuild to have a released ppc as well.  That is
one of the things that makes us the best distro available :) (I might be
a bit biased on the distro rankings, though)