[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 14 18:18:57 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 11.06.2005 schrieb Rodrigo Barbosa um 21:53:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 01:08:56PM -0400, Doug Eubanks wrote:
> > First, I am not a RedHat or linux newbie. I simply have not had to do what I am
> > getting ready to do, and I want to see if I am going to run into a problems...
> > My HDA drive is failing (I can hear the occasional click from it and I am
> > seeing Smart errors, the transfer rate is slow but all my data is there). I
> > have 3 partitions on it, the /, /boot/ and my game servers (this is also the
> > drive the bootloader is on). Will this proceedure work ok to replace it with
> > the minimum of downtime/reinstalling A> Make bootable floppy B> Start in single
> > user mode C> Create same partition structure on hew drive D> Move all files
> > from old partitions to new partitions E> Switch drives F> Boot off floppy,
> > mount, reinstall grub and boot manager on new drive G> Profit! Any hangups or
> > snags doing it this way? Thanks, Doug Eubanks doug at simflex.com
>
> I would like to suggest using dump/restore to make the backup.
>
> Something like:
>
> mount /dev/hdb1 /newroot
> dump -0f - / | (cd /newroot; restore -xf -)

> Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at suespammers.org>

On the Fedora user list the question came up whether dump & restore are
extended attributes aware. This is an issue i.e. when using SELinux. Do
the tools take care?

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:16:42 up 21 days, 18:54, load average: 0.40, 0.26, 0.20