[CentOS] CentOS 4.1

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Wed Jun 15 15:17:42 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:01 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
>

>>alex at milivojevic.org wrote:
>>

>>>Question about differences in RHEL 4.1 and CentOS 4.1 organization.
>>>

>>There is no such thing as RHEL 4.1.  Red Hat keeps the version the same
>>and just provides updates.  Every so often, a new set of ISOs is spun, and
>>called RHEL 4 Update x (where x increments).
>>

>>>How
>>>do you determine what packages were "regular" updates, and which packages
>>>were part of U1?
>>>

>>For RHEL, they are all "regular" updates.
>>

>And for CentOS as well ... the x in 4.x relates to the update number.
>
>There is a 4/ symlink that points to the current tree (4.0) ... the 4/
>symlink will shift from 4.0 to 4.1 when all the 4.0 arches (ia64,
>x86_64, i386) have a fully functional (and tested) 4.1 tree.
>
>We release the Security (RHSA) updates for update X as soon as they come
>out, then we take the Enhancement (RHEA) updates and Bugfix (RHBA)
>updates and build the new trees, test them, then release them.  When all
>the trees for the whole release are done, we shift the symlink.
>
>That should happen in the next couple days for both 3.5 and 4.1.
>
>So CentOS 4 is the release and 4.1 means update 1.
>
>So, you can manually point to 4.1 now (if you use ia64 or i386) or wait
>until we shift the link later after the x86_64 tree is live.
>
>I tried to explain in the availability announcement:
>http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2005-June/000310.html
>
>(maybe not such a good job of explaining) :)

Does it mean that if I installed CentOS 4.0, I have to do a yum upgrade
on the 4.0 tree in order to have the last version of all installed
packages then a yum upgrade on the 4.1 tree ?
Or is it possible to do a yum upgrade directly on the 4.1 tree and it
will upgrade all the installed packages ?

If it is the first question which list the correct steps, how are made
the updates if I install after a period a package from my CentOS 4.0 iso
and then do a yum upgrade on the 4.1 tree? (Perhaps that there was an
update in the 4.0 updates tree. Or do I miss something?)

One more question : Is it better to do yum update or yum upgrade if I
want only the already installed packages to be updated ?

Thank you for your help,

Jean LEE.