[CentOS] New to CentOS

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Wed Jun 15 19:10:15 UTC 2005

Jean Lee wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi Jean, welcome to CentOS.

> I 'm new in CentOS 4. I was working before with WBEL 3.0 but I think
> that I was hacked (I'm not sure) so I install a new server.

Cool. Glad to hear you've got a fresh rebuild.

> I want now to be as secure as possible :

I can understand that.

> - I disabled every services and the command netstat -taupn returns
> nothing.

Wow! Good job! What does this machine do that does not require any
network daemons? I usually at least leave SSH up so I can remotely
administer the machine.

> - I setup a firewall with iptables which allows only related and
> established connections to the intrenal LAN. I'm sure of this firewall.
> Is it better to use ip6tables ?

ip6tables is used for IP version 6. Most of the world has not
transitioned over to IPv6 yet (I know I haven't). If you don't know what
I'm talking about, you're using IPv4 like the rest of us, which is what
iptables is used for.

> - I will now update this server. I want to use yum.
> Where are placed the CentOS mirrors ( I need it in order to configure
> yum.conf) ?
> Is there a way to verify automatically the packages integrity with yum ?

I think someone beat me to answering this question.

--Shawn