[CentOS] Big trouble: can't start server after new kernel

Mário Gamito

lists at tuxdoit.com
Thu Jun 16 00:53:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have this file server with CentOS 4.0
Each time a new kernel comes out, i have to recompile it, becuse i need
Appletalk support and the kernel doesn't have it.

I've done this before many times and in other servers, and all went well.

Now, in this particular server, with the new 2.6.9-11, after i've
recompiled it, created the .img and edited grub, the machine doesn't
start at all.
It says it can't find the kernel image.

I cannot even boot with older kernels.

To worsten things, i have LVM, so "linux rescue" tells me there's no
Linux installation in the server and leaves me with a prompt.

Now, i can mount /boot because it is outside the LVM, but when i do it,
i lost access to any command, even a mere ls.

Tried to pre-copy vi before the /boot mount and could access
/boot/grub/menu.lst

Everything seems fine, the files are all in /boot ...!!!

Do i need to run grub command after editing menu.lst ?

Never did that.
And why can't i boot from older kernels ?

Now, the really nasty thing: somehow, i don't have the smallest hint, i
had a 500 GB external USB disk to make the backups, and the "linux
rescue" erased it :( :( :(

Bogles me!!!

Please help me.
This one can cost me the job.

Loosing 300 GB of files from ~ 100 users on the file server is unforgiven.

Any help would be apreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito