[CentOS] X-Windows client for MS-Win2K

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Jun 16 19:07:29 UTC 2005

I've actually been just dealing with this myself.

Download the following:

http://tcs.ii.uj.edu.pl/~maze/cygx.tar.bz2

(3.6MB uncompressed to 12MB)

and put it somewhere (I keep it on a samba share on my linux server
[\\TCS\CYGWIN] and start it up as \\TCS\CYGWIN\STARTX.BAT from windows
clients from command line or run dialog).

You'll need to edit the content of startx.bat to work in you're
environment (i.e use a free drive letter proper samba path - or skip samba
installation and install it locally) and you'll probably want to edit the
Xwin command line as well (the -query tcs.ii.uj.edu.pl option and -ftp
tcp/tcs.ii.uj.edu.pl:7100 options plus the polish keyboard layout should
probably be customized.  You might also want to disable the redirection of
stdout to a log file (as I said I'm still working on this)).

You'll also need to edit cygwin.reg to contain proper paths
(\\\\TCS\\CYGWIN - note doubled backslashes as escapes to whatever works
for you, can also be D:\\CYGWIN and the like).

Now you need to configure your server to allow remote X access - to do
this you need to allow remote XDMCP and XFS access - burn both through the
firewall:
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport xfs   -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp --dport xdmcp -j ACCEPT
probably limiting them (with -s) to only selected client networks.
and configure the daemons to actually allow outside access...
This is done by editing /etc/X11/fs/config

# don't listen to TCP ports by default for security reasons
#no-listen = tcp

you want to comment out the no-listen so fonts are served.

and you want to enable remote gdm access (/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf)
DisallowTCP=false
and possibly other options.

And you want to add lines of the format

gdm:  client-ip/mask