[CentOS] X-Windows client for MS-Win2K

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:09:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 10:34, Marcelo Renan Becher wrote:
> hello James,
>
> You can use a free version of MicroImages X Server.
>
> The download link:
> http://orthanc.univap.br/stuff/win32/mix95.zip
>
> A new version (but paid) you can found here:
> http://www.microimages.com/mix/

The current version of the free Cygwin server works pretty well. A
few years ago I might have used this one instead.  Now for running
a few remote apps it works nicely to (from a Cygwin bash prompt):
export DISPLAY=:0
Xwin -multiwindow &
ssh -X remote_server
 ..login, start programs...
Each X progam started will open it's own window that pretty much
acts like a native MS window.

If you are going to run many applications from the same remote
host you might want to enable XDMCP logins and:
Xwin -query remote_server
 and run the whole desktop remotely.

Some people run a local window manager like windowmaker, but I'm not
quite sure why.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com