[CentOS] CentOS 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Aleksandar Milivojevic

alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Jun 20 05:05:47 UTC 2005

I've updated CentOS 4.0 to 4.1 on several machines (some desktops, some
servers).  However on my laptop, update is failing with following error
just after headers are downloaded:

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.3.4-2 for package: glibc
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.3.4-2 is needed by package glibc

My CentOS.repo is a standard one, as distributed with CentOS.  I don't
have any additional repos defined on my laptop.  I attempted to clear
yum cache (rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*).  Rerun yum update, and got the same
error again.

Looking at the /var/cache/yum/base/headers, I see that yum downloaded
headers for gblic-common, glibc-devel, and glibc-headers, but not for
glibc.  Seems as if yum did not considered base glibc package to be due
for update.  Running rpm -q glibc, shows that currently installed
version of glibc is 2.3.4-2 (and all the other currently installed glibc
packages are at the same version level).

I don't remember doing anything fancy on that laptop that could have
triggered this problem.  Basically, it was normal install (desktop+devel
packages mostly), and after that it was regulary updated from cron.

Of course, as a workaround I could download glibc and related packages
and update it by hand, and than rerun yum update to get all other
updates from 4.1.  But, I though it would be more fun if anybody could
give me hint or two why yum failed to update this particular system.