[CentOS] OT: question on setting up an email server

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Mon Jun 20 13:53:15 UTC 2005

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
> I'm really doing it for the learning part of it. If Bellsouth's smtp
> server is down when I need to send an email, I just turn to either
> yahoo, or hotmail, and write and send my email from there.
>   The machine that I'm using is a Dell Poweredge 2300 with 3 9.1 scuzzy
> hard drives. The machine was givien to me, and it's somewhat outdated.
> All it has in it is a 500mghrtz single processor, so if I do something
> wrong and the machine implodes, I'm not out any cash.
> Thanks for your concern.
> Jimmy

Jimmy,

I guess you don't have a fixed ip too. You can register a free dynamic
dns service. eg: something-you-choose.cjb.net go to www.cjb.net for details.

They can point the MX record for something-you-choose.cjb.net to
something-you-choose.cjb.net which will be pointing to whatever ip you
have been assigned.

installing qmail will be a good learning experience. Installation may
require more steps than others but its configuration is the simplest
there is and the dot-qmail mechanism the more powerful and flexible one
available. Add to that the fact that you are also installing one of the
most secure programs ever written which is yet good performance and light.

It comes with a pop3 server program so it will handle all your email
service needs.