[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jun 22 18:00:24 UTC 2005

Thanks for the detailed reply, Brian.

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> I assume you read 2004 November Sys Admin on the Opteron, including
> avoiding cheap mainboard designs?
>   http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0411b/

Yea, but who *is* this guy? :)

> I assume you want 2-way.  The S2891 is a nice, 2-way board for 1/2U.
> The S2892 is nice if you want more of a traditional SSI EEB mainboard.
> They are true NUMA and don't cut corners on the CPU and memory.

Don't really need physical 4-way. I'm planning on 2-way dual core. 1/2U
doesn't matter, it'll be a tower case. I mostly want the 'server'
features like dual NICs and on-board video.

> ???  Why "dumb" SATA channels  ???
>
> Why not a 3Ware Escalade 8506-4+ or a LSI Logic MegaRAID 300-8X?

I mostly just want to see how two or three striped SATA drives will
perform. If the on-board ports don't perform, I can always add a
separate controller later. My understanding is that NCQ support isn't
here yet for Linux but that it should provide a boost.

>>serial console support in the BIOS,
> Any PhoenixBIOS will typically give you that.

I did not know that. I've seen too many 'workstation' mobos without
serial console support to make that assumption.

>>USB 2.0 and IEEE-1394 ports,
>
> On a server?  The last thing you want is any storage over those two.
> I've been ripping out a lot of external storage solutions that use
> USB 2.0 or IEEE-1394 because they put server stability at risk.

Not for primary storage. Mostly just future proofing here. I've been
meaning to setup a backup system using external hard drives instead of
tape. That wouldn't fly over USB 1.1.

So, Brian, having given me all that good information (thanks again),
what specific models do you suggest? What are *you* running on?

Kirk Bocek