[CentOS] Multiple IP Addresses in a single NIC

Joao Medeiros

joao.c.medeiros at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:28:01 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've been trying to add a second ip address to one of my network cards in my
CentOS box. I've defined the alias on top of eth1 which has become eth1:1
with a different ip address.

I can ping the new ip address both from my linux box as well as from my
Windoze desktop, however I can only access my Apache web server setup as a
virtual host from within the Linux box. If I try to access it from the
desktop I get an "Operation Timeout..." error.

I'm sure I missed out something really basic. Browsed Google and the CentOS
mailing list (plus RH) and can't figure it out. Networking is not one of my
best subjects... Someone care to shed some light or point me to a fairly
decent link out there which covers this topic?

TIA,
--JM

João Medeiros
Linux User 381318