[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions -- again, get a mainboard with an AMD8131 (it's that simple)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 24 06:13:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 01:49 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> Here we go again with that UPS guy though... other than the Intel 2ch scsi
> controller and emulex fibre cards there isn't much out there.

_Exactly_!  PCIe storage and NIC controllers are lacking.
Which means we're left with PCI-X and legacy 64-bit PCI cards for now.

> And all those options fit into a nice $40K server - but if you're talking a
> couple hundret for the board and cpu, they're overkill...
> Until you got a sata raid controller or so available for pci express,
> you're better off if a more expensive board and then save the money on
> some cheaper storage..

Exactly.  You're already spending $1,500 on the CPUs and Registered ECC
memory.  So why not spend a few bucks more on the mainboard, and throw
in a $300 storage card for the $400 your spending on disks to ensure
performance?

Whey people are willing to spend >>$1,000 and then skimp on a few
hundred bucks more is beyond me.  You'd be better off not going
Opteron/Registered at all, and saving all that dough.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->