[CentOS] Stability, if that's the word (was Re: How fouled-up can you get??)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jun 24 17:22:17 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 24.06.2005 schrieb beartooth um 19:02:

> I'm on this list because I'm getting near the end of my rope after a good
> dozen installs, upgrades, and re-installs just since Fedora first came
> out. It changes too fast for me -- in fine and admirable ways, but I can't
> keep up. I'll install FC4 when the installation media get here, and that
> may be it.

Yes, if you are not the enthusiastic Linux user, requesting to have
always the latest, biggest, most promising software version -
[b]le[a,e]ding edge - then CentOS is certainly the better OS for you.

> So, getting back to the real topic, I'm especially interested in matters
> of stability, if that's the term of art: CentOS is basically a clone of
> RHEL without the price nor the phone support -- right? I ran boughten RH,
> and had RHN all those years, and never picked up a phone. RedHat's
> updates, and help from online, kept it on an even keel.

From my experience CentOS4 is very solid and a good choice for server
systems. Updates come in time and for free.

> Gretchenfrage : is it looking like an electronically ignorant old retired
> fart will be able to install CentOS, set each machine to do nightly yum
> update, and go back to doing what he does, maybe for a year or two at a
> time? The learning curve at least ought to be minimal, for a RedHat
> refugee ...

Though I am neither Doc Faust, nor have a relation with Mephistopheles,
I am sure you have more pleasure running CentOS in the way you intend
than you had from your Fedora experiences so far (knowing some of your
postings on the Fedora and the Fedora Legacy Project user lists). The
only thing which I generally do not recommend is running automatic
nightly yum updates. It is little administration to do updates manually
and you always know what happens by watching at yum's activity output.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:11:15 up 3 days, 3:25, load average: 0.11, 0.10, 0.10